.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Motion Geometry: Rotations, Reflections and Translations

Math Problem of The Week

An animator uses artistic talent and advanced graphics software to make movie scenes. While the software may be sophisticated, basic geometry is at its core. Every movement of an object within an animated scene involves one or more transformations.
Watch the following video and create an animated character on grid paper. Transform your character by rotating, reflecting, and translating it. Explain how you did each transformation on the back of the sheet.

10 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
superjepic said...

so geomazing (geomazing is geometry + amazing)

superjepic said...

the video said "have you ever seen a live dragon or dinosaur" and I totally have seen both lots of times.

Anonymous said...

I liked this video. It was interesting and cool.

Anonymous said...

This video really shows that you need to pay attention in school so that you can get a good job like this because you know basic geometry.

Olivia said...

Real cool. Oh andf James, seeing a dinosaur skeleton or one on T dosn't count. ;-)

Olivia said...

Sorry I didn't read my comment. That one word is "and" and the other is "TV".

superjepic said...

i did sooooooo se a dinosaur i saw it while i was on the dinosaur ride at disneyworld DUH.

ALEX said...

I found this POW very interesting, especially because we got to create our own character. I really enjoyed the video because I didn't know how they made fictional, or extinct animals come to life on the TV. This was especially good timing for me because I just finished reading Micheal Crichton's The Lost World, which has been made into a movie that made the dinosaurs look incredably real, and a lot of the time I was reading I kept thinking of the movie and trying to figure out how they created the dinosaurs.
Now I Know,
Thanks!

superjepic said...

this waz zo funz